Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Redesign of Pink Floyd's Division Bell cover

Dark Side of the Moon

Probably one of the most iconic album covers ever, is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon which was designed by Storm Thorgerson.  He also designed their cover for The Division Bell.








Pink Floyd • The Division Bell


I decided to re-design the Division Bell cover keeping in mind that the Dark Side of the Moon cover has no moon imagery whatsoever.  Bringing the moon imagery into my remake of The Division Bell seemed poetic as a link to their other album.  On a side note, these sculptures are supposedly now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame according to Wikipedia.


I utilized Hubble photos of stars, NASA photos of the moon and Japan Aeronautics Administration Agency photos of the earth rising over the moon horizon for my project.  I complied these into one image along with the Division Bell metal face sculptures all in Photoshop.  Here is my first draft.  Among other planned changes, I need to work on some of the component edges.  I am going to try recreating the faces with the gradient mesh tool.  If I like them better, I will do a swap.  I would also like to design the CD label.  Stay tuned.  Here is my interim version.


No comments :

Post a Comment